Thursday, December 17, 2009

Weeks 1 - 11

Yes I know this is a lot to cover :) but I want to start from the beginning.

For 3 years Jae & I had been trying to have a baby. We decided in July of this year to go ahead and try fertility treatments. We began treatments on August 24th and on October 22nd got the best news (so far) of our lives, we were going to be parents!


We promptly went to our doctor for bloodwork so that we could be absolutely sure and were told that we wouldn't get the results until the next afternoon! Ah the agony... we wanted to start calling family and friends but wanted to be 100% sure. We knew that everyone knew we would be testing that morning so we'd have to tell them something. So the calls started! My mom was first and was completely over the moon! After that it's a blur :) I called my sister and dad. Jae called his dad and mom who shrieked for joy and cried at the same time. Then Jae's brother and sister-in-law, friends, co-workers... man it was a busy day! There were so many shouts of joy, so many tears and so many Praises to God! I will never forget that day. We got the call the next day that I was indeed pregnant, 4 weeks and 2 days.

Our first doctors appointment was at 7 weeks. We had our first ultrasound and found out that we were having multiples! Babies A & B (Noodle & Peanut according to Jae) had strong heartbeats and were measuring right at 7 weeks. Baby C did not have a heartbeat and was just a yolk sac measuring at about 5 weeks. At this point they could not tell us if baby C was a miscarriage or a late implantation. So we left not knowing if we were having twins or triplets!


7 weeks

Next appointment was at 8 weeks to see if they could find anything else out about baby C. There was still no heartbeat and it looked like the sac was starting to shrink which meant my body was starting to absorb it. The doctor at this point was 90% sure that baby C was a miscarriage. So much information was being thrown our way that we really didn't know what to think or how to feel. The doctor kept saying that baby C wasn't a baby just a yolk sac but Jae & I know that life begins at conception so we allowed ourselves to be sad and prayed for strength and know that we will see our baby C in heaven! Babies A & B were doing great at 8 weeks. In one week they turned from little beans into semblances of babies, though I thought they looked more like penguins at this point. :)

8 weeks
They brought us back at 10 weeks to check for more progress. At this point Baby C was 90% gone which confirmed miscarriage. Babies A & B had changed SO much in 2 weeks that Jae & I couldn't say a word... then they started moving and we laughed & cried. It is such a blessing to be able to see my babies so often when so many people don't get that opportunity. The ultrasound tech took 3-D pictures of the babies which was cool and odd at the same time. You could see them in detail and babies at 10 weeks still don't look too much like babies!

10 weeks 3-D 10 weeks
10 weeks was supposed to be my last appointment at the fertility clinic and I was to start going to my regular OBGYN. But I had to switch OB's because I found out mine was leaving in January. My new OB couldn't see me until 16 weeks so the fertlilty clinic brought me back at 11 weeks. This appointment by far has been the coolest! 3-D pics were done again and they are looking more and more like babies! Noodle & Peanut are already getting in each others space because they were kicking each other! Both would not stay still long enough to get clear pictures but we didn't care because all the moving means they are doing great! Praise God!

11 weeks 3-D

11 weeks
And there you have it in a nutshell... conception through 11 weeks! :) I am leaving out the weeks of nasuea and not being able to eat because 1) I don't want to remember it and 2) I am praising God through it all because he has given us the best gift of all, the gift of life!!!

3 comments:

  1. This is a super idea, Erin. We'll all enjoy following the growth and ultimate birth of these precious little ones! I like the way you said, "That's it in a nutshell" - peanut, nutshell!!! I have the ultrasound pictures on my bulletin board at work and they were mentioned on national radio the other day when I was able to tell the radio host (after he just "talked with a young resident who said that the baby's heartbeat is not detectable until 17 weeks) that you and Jae had heard your twins heartbeat just the day before at 11 weeks. So their pro-life testimony went nation-wide. Love you all so much. Mama Sims

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is wonderful, Erin....great way to keep up on all the news....about you, Noodle and Peanut....I keep their most recent 3-D ultrasound on my fridge and also have a picture frame mouse pad that they are in.....when can we see belly bump? I love ya'll.....Mama Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. ERIN!!! I couldn't be happier for you and Jae! Thank you for sharing this with us. I already love them! I can't wait to see these little babies grow, I know they are feeling your HAPPY vibes :-)

    ReplyDelete